21 Plus Residential Summer Camp 2023
Our 21 Plus residential summer camp took place at Manor Adventure, Culmington Manor, from 17th-21st July 2023 and included daily speech and language sessions delivered by the specialist speech and language service, Symbol UK and a range of engaging outdoor activities. Thirteen young people took part ranging in age from 13 – 21 years. The camp offers the opportunity for the young people to spend time away from home in a safe environment. Activities included high ropes, zip wire, fencing, archery, hill walking, climbing, swimming, grass sledding and an epic disco.
The camp provided young people with Down syndrome the opportunity to:
- improve their communication skills.
- practice skills in making and maintaining relationships, assertion, and self-expression.
- further the development of relationships between the young people.
- introduce new and accessible activities in
- a supportive and safe environment.
- encourage an active participation long after the camps.
- have fun and socialise; and
- develop independence within the young people.
The young people took part in three to four outdoor activities each day, as well as a daily speech and language session with Jo Gawn, our Symbol UK speech and language therapist. Our key focus in the speech and language groups throughout the week was thinking about the different ages and stages we go through in life; what is important at each of these stages and what responsibilities occur at each stage.
A key part of the camp involves the development of friendships and independence skills away from home – the young people all shared rooms and were encouraged to be as independent as possible in all aspects of daily life.
Feedback from our young people included:
“I want to come here for my next birthday and do exactly the same again.”
“I loved hanging out with my friends.”
“Sharing a room was great fun.”
“I like being on my own on holiday without my parents!”
“The zip wire was my favourite activity.”
“The disco was the best ever!”